This is a filling and nutritious lunch or supper dish.
- 175g chickpeas (canned or soaked overnight if using dried)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tin plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 500g courgettes, sliced into rings
- 125g peas or French beans
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- Simmer the chickpeas in fresh water until soft. Skim off any froth that rises. When cooked, drain, reserving the cooking liquid for later.
- Gently fry the onion and garlic until the onion begins to colour and soften. Reduce the heat and add the tomatoes, stirring together for a minute or two.
- Add the chickpeas, dried herbs, courgettes and enough cooking liquid from the chickpeas to cover. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the peas or French beans and continue cooking until the vegetables and chickpeas are soft but retain some bite.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Scatter with chopped parsley and serve.