As the temperature dips, there’s nothing that feels more like a warming hug than a curry. One of my favourites is this gorgeous vegan curry. It’s also cheap to make and packed full of immune-boosting antioxidants.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger – a thumb-sized piece, finely grated
- 6 curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 75g red lentils
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 400ml vegetable stock
- Fresh coriander, a handful, torn
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and cook three-quarters of the onion for 10 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry leaves (if using) and cook for 2 mins.
- Add in the spices and cook for 1 min.
- Stir in the sweet potato and lentils, then add the coconut milk and stock. Stir well, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 mins until the potatoes and lentils are cooked through. Add a splash of water if it looks a little dry.
- Season to taste, then spoon into bowls and garnish with the remaining chopped onion, the fresh coriander, and a lime wedge for squeezing over.